Thursday, June 10, 2010

More than a priority

I am learning that I do not need to prioritize God...

As I was talking with a friend yesterday, I reflected on one of his comments. My friend said that he wanted to make God more of a priority in his life. This comment sparked me to share something with him that I have been considering for some time now.

I am learning that, as believers, we do not need to prioritize God. This type of thinking supports a worldview that we are the ultimate masters of our own lives. We can select who and what will be number one in our lives. I feel that when we grapple with this behavior - we are ultimately struggling with "complete surrender" and "whole-hearted devotion" to the Lord.

God's plan is not such that we strive to put Him in the middle of our lives. God's plan is not meant for us to move Him from #1 priority to #2 priority, to #3 priority, and back to #1 again, etc...

Having no other Gods before Him is the context. The reason God is #1 in our lives is not because He is "our" top priority... But, because we are His! God loved us so much that He GAVE His Son to us as a Savior.

So, rather than God being your top priority... let's realize that God is our PARAMETER. Stop trying to make God the center of your life... and start making your life the center of God's will!

God is our parameter! He is the context for our thought life, our behavior, our speech... our entire lives!
It's ALL about Him! So, don't get stuck making God your priority...
MAKE GOD YOUR PARAMETER!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see what you are saying but the problem I especially find is that if I don't try to think of God all the time, I tend to find something else to do. With work and school, its hard to find time for Him unless I schedule it, I like your idea but as someone who at times doesn't have much time off, its hard to make that time for God.